Tuesday, March 28, 2017

Terminal 21 and the Movies

Ended up staying home this weekend. I decided I didn't want to stay out after midnight. The BTS shuts down and I don't know any Thai, yet. So, I can use Grab Taxi, but I have no back up to that except walking. Sunday I felt really poorly so I stayed home. So, I ended up quite isolated. I stayed Monday, too. However, my legs are a lot better and they have stopped leakin. I will have to be careful where I sit from now on. The first thing to do when I get to Nepal will be to buy a secretary chair like that was at dad's house. Better, yet, I will look for a chair like the one that is in Julie and Sal's dining room.

I was really getting cabin fever, so I went out Tuesday to Terminal 21. After brunch, I saw Beauty And The Beast. It was surprisingly good. The theaters here are interesting.

1. You buy a specific seat; their is no general admission - sort of like going to a live theater performance.

2. The back row is a row of love seats. I was going to take a picture because they were empty last time. This time some people were sitting in them, so I didn't.

3. Goodies only cost about 50% - 60% compared to the U.S. and economy tickets (about 2/3 the theater) are about $4.00 (this was during the day).

4. Due to the heat Bangkok is a night city. There were few people during the day (20 out of 200 seats?). However, They have showings that start after midnight.



5. They have a listing of exactly how long previews and commercials are. There actually seem to be more previews, so previews may be free ones the theater shows and commercials may include previews the studios pay for. The above shows there will be 14 minutes of commercials, 15 minutes of previews, the movie lasts for 2 hours and five minutes, and the total time is 2 hours and 35 minutes.

6. Like we have the national anthem here, we all have to stand up between the commercials/previews and the movie while they play a song for the King while his picture is on the screen.



Here are a couple of pictures from the same spot. One is a picture towards the BTS station gates (3 stories above the street) and the other picture is toward T21 along the skywalk - really convenient!


Here is a picture back toward the BTS station.


Here is a picture of the innards of T21. It is 11 stories high with 600+ stores in the middle 9 floors. The top story is a fitness center and the bottom story is a maintenance floor, although they both have escalators. The elevator you see in the back is one that goes 3 floors at once.


This is from the top of the 3 story escalator.


Another picture showing the innards of T21.


Bye-bye T21. I took this picture of T21 from the loading platform (6 stories above the street) as I was leaving. There are actually 2 skywalks connecting the BTS station and T21. This outdoor walkway connects the 2 outside of T21.

Today is my first day at E88 (a play on the word egg (e88) - a place to hatch ideas), a Co-working place. More about this place and pictures in another post.

Namaste From (halfway to) Nepal

6 comments:

  1. Hi Mike. Are there many homeless there? I am reading the OC Register digital now and saw in today's paper a good article on OC homeless - "BIG BOX LIVING .. Vets find shelter in Potter’s Lane shipping containers".

    ReplyDelete
  2. OH - I also see there are 200 tours rated for Bangkok, including 75 that give private tours. You could ask for a tour special designed for an American living in Bangkok. Something you might want to check out too.
    https://www.tripadvisor.com/Attractions-g293916-Activities-c42-Bangkok.html

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nok looks like someone perfect to tour you around to show you extra things around town to make your stay in Bangkok fantastic. She might charge you $100 for a half day, but you might be able to get tour for much less than that if you tell her you are extremely flexible on when to take the tour - taking it on a day when she does not have other tours to do.
    http://nokthaitour.com/index.html

    ReplyDelete
  4. I haven't seen any homeless and very few beggars. I am going to ask the pastor when I finally get to church about what the proper response is.

    I am not really interested in tours. I am trying to build up my fitness right now. My left knee still hurts. I think it is from going down so many steps at the BTS station (6 stories each time). A trip to E88 and back entails going down 12 stories of steps. I am now going down steps very slowly and softly. Additionally, I may take a taxi home from e88 since it is short and with the traffic flow.

    I may be semi crippled until I get to Nepal in August. Or, I may have to go a month using no BTS, only Taxis.

    Instead of tourist spots, I am more interested in how the local people live. The only tourist spot I really want to see is The Bridge Over The River Kwai. It is a long day round trip northwest of Bangkok or a comfortable overnight trip.

    A day trip on the river might be nice, too. Maybe once I get involved in Church I will find some people interested in showing me the sights. A little extra money could really help some local church members.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yes you should avoid going DOWN steps. For fitness here, everyone walks UP steps but then they take the elevator down. Walking down steps is much harder on the knees than walking up.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow, they know how to do indoor malls there! But it sounds like a place to hang out with aircondition in the day is the way to go.

    ReplyDelete