Monday, April 3, 2017

Local Foods

Had a good week. Weekend before last I was basically stuck at home sore and feeling isolated. By Tuesday I was sick and tired of being sick and isolated so I decided to go out every day regardless of the consequences. Tuesday, I went to Terminal 21. Wednesday and Friday I went to E88, the Co-Working place for about 8 hours each day. Thursday, I walked to the BTS station and back and explored my neighborhood a little, especially a nearby flea market. Saturday, I went to a friends house via Grab Taxi and we played games after his family and I grilled brats. He teaches English.

Sunday, my food delivery was late and didn't arrive until 4 pm, although it was scheduled for 10 am - Noon. Since Church starts at 3 pm, I missed Church. Now that I have a stockpile of necessities, water, coffee, oatmeal, etc. I am going to cut back to every other week and have deliveries on a Tuesday or something.

So, Sunday and today (Monday) I stayed home. But, now it is welcome rest instead of isolation. I got laundry done and cleaned and organized my room. I walked up to the BTS station today for exercise and bought some food on the way back.



I am getting about 33.5 baht per dollar from the ATMs when I get my money after ATM fee and currency exchange. This is when the baht is about 34.8 per dollar. So, I am paying about 4% to get my money.

Anyway, these are all from local street vendors. The chocolate Crescents and cake donuts at the top were 20 baht per package (60 cents). Even the street vendors have access to modern packaging.

The chicken is from my favorite vendor. It is like KFC extra crispy. They are half the time 15 baht (45 cents) and half the time 20 baht (60 cents). They are great and cheap.

The bottom left dish is my first Thai food. I have bought from her before. Last time I bought the bed of white sticky rice with 2 fried eggs for 25 baht (75%), a great meal. I had to add my own spices, which was fine. This time I decided to try some Thai mixture. It was also 25 baht.

Uh-oh. I took about 6 bites and it tasted good. It had a little heat, but not much, less than medium Pace Picante Sauce. I got nauseous and drank some ginger ale. The carbonation may have made it worse as I had to run to the bathroom. Not much came up. But, that was it. I threw it away. I felt fine after that. 15 minutes later I ate a piece of chicken, a chocolate crescent, and a couple of cake donuts, and the rest of the ginger ale with no problem.

No more Thai food for me!

Namaste From (halfway to) Nepal

2 comments:

  1. Looks delicious! Once you get to know some church buddies, be sure to gather all the information possible on the Elephant sanctuaries there. I am oh-so patiently waiting for some good elephant pictures/information. -Olivia S.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What?!? didn't you celebrate National Thai Elephant day on March 13? We had elephant polo matches, parades, blessings, and huge lunches for the elephants. They eat those pineapples whole!

    ReplyDelete