Thursday, March 23, 2017

George MacDonald

Before I left I loaded up on zombie stories from fanfiction.net, specifically fan fiction written for the book World War Z. Fan fiction are short stories written in the universe of a book, movie, or television series. Some of the more popular ones, like Harry Potter and Lord of the Rings have thousands of fan fiction stories on fanfiction.net. Anyway, I downloaded about 100 for WWZ before I left.

 I have decided to reread some George MacDonald next since his stories are in the public domain and available at the Gutenburg Project.  He lived in the 1800’s and was a Scottish author and minister. He inspired many people, including Tolkein and CS Lewis.

He wrote 2 fantasy stories that are famous, Lillith and Phantasies which I don’t understand. However, people like CS Lewis raved about them. I really enjoy his other fantasy books/stories, though. The Princess and the Goblin and The Princess and Curdie are a pair of books like the Chronicles of Narnia, except Jesus is the Witch instead of Aslan. He has a bunch of short stories like The Light Princess which are also fascinating. I am starting with At the Back of the North Wind. It is an odd fantasy where one might say that the North Wind is the Holy Spirit. It has a sort of Screwtape Letters flavor to it.

He also wrote a bunch of Scottish novels. My favorites include:

1.Sir Gibbie – about an orphan
2. Donal Grant – a sequel to Sir Gibbie

Many of the others look interesting, also.


Namaste from (halfway to) Nepal

No comments:

Post a Comment