Friday, August 4, 2017

The Best Laid Plans of Mice and Men Often Go Awry

Wow, did I make a big mistake! Since the airline had business class on sale for $550 (about 1/3 price), I flew that instead of economy $350. I flew China Eastern Airlines because they allow a 3rd bag for a fee. Other airlines that don't would only cost about $275.

I got to the airport and checked in my bags. I only needed 2, since I bought bigger luggage. I did have a gym bag as a carry on, as well as a near empty back pack and a heavy huge fanny pack. I was flying via Shanghai, China and Kunming, China - huge mistake. A ginormous, humugous, mistake!  They told me I had to pick up luggage at Shangai and recheck it. Ditto for Kungming. It seems that since Shangai is a domestic route, there are 2 different systems - domestic & international - to allow them to keep more control over people.

I thought I would just be pampered on the plane, meander from arrival gate to departure gate and wait at a coffee place and relax. Noooooooo! Instead, I had to rush through customs & immigration, explain to the guard why I had no VISA, get my luggage, find the right airline counter, get my boarding pass and check my luggage, go through customs & immigration again, and then to my gate.
Well, in Shanghai I had a 3 hour layover. I made it, all frazzled with 15 minutes to spare. I was the last business class person on.

In Kunming, I only had a 2 hour layove. I figured my luggage would get rechecked. But, I was thinking I would be spending 24 hours in the airport after I missed the plane. I made it with 2 minutes to spare. And, fortunately, the plane was delayed 45 minutes. But, I was too exhausted to even get up and walk across the aisle to this great looking coffee shop.

"Though I walk through the airport terminals of death . . . "



Experiencing all this kind of ruined the luxury air flight. I had 3 three-hour flights.
Starting at 02:30 I was kind of sleepy. Fortunately, the seats recline to about 80% so you are almost horizontal. I had a huge breakfast. The basket of hot rolls they came by with every few minutes was nice. Then got about 2 hours sleep before it was close to debarkation.

It turns out that business/first class is not really luxury. It is more like less suffering than economy. You are still up at 30,000 feet in a hollow metal tube being flown by someone you don't know and you are stuck in your seat.

The next seats were not quite as nice, but still quite nice. You basically had 2 seats where there were 2 rows of 3 seats in economy. So, the seats were wider with a small table between people. There was a huge space to the next row. The slippers they give you really come in handy. Again, another nice meal. This time I really appreciated the hot towels and orange juice and water they give you when you sit down because I was all sweaty and thirsty from running around the airport.

On the 3rd flight, there were 2 seats where there were 3 in economy class. However there was very little leg room, maybe only 20% more than economy class.There were only 8 such seats on this plane compared to 20 - 24 on the other 2 planes.  Again, the hot towels were very nice. I declined the meal because I was still full from the first 2 meals. I just drank a lot. They are very stingy with the ice. Finally, I just asked for a glass of ice with ice to the top.

Finally, I got to Kathmandu. Since there was no time pressure, I could leisurely get everything done. It took about 45 minutes and I was outside where my ride from the hotel was waiting with a taxi.

Namaste from the Roof of the World

1 comment:

  1. Wow, glad everything worked out. Yea, I hate airports and will drive everywhere I can because of these exact issues. Of course, you have a tiny mountain range between you and your destination lol, so not an option. I will say though, those airplane accommodations seem better then the torture we went through going to New Zealand. I had to get Liz up and walk her on the plane constantly so she didn't pass out...

    ReplyDelete