Wednesday, August 23, 2017

Summerhill House

Well, I am living the pampered life, again, at least for 9 days.



I had my best Bible study this morning since I got here (Nepal). It is so nice to spread out and get nerdy.


I will get to unpack some. My last place was so small I couldn't even "live out of my suitcase." I had to live with a pile of stuff stacked on to of my suitcase that I had reached into it and grabbed, since I couldn't even lay my suitcase flat.


This is a shot to the west. Patan, along with Kathmandu and a third city, are in a valley surrounded by mountains. We are about a mile up. So, that is high enough to be in the clouds.


This shot is to the Southwest. There is a deck all around my first floor room (First floor is the second floor to you all.) Notice the mountains farther away are actually above the clouds.


I have a nice modern bathroom. It is the size of my whole room at the last hotel.


The mosquito netting is mostly decoration, now. Kathmandu, and the rest of the valley, got 24 hour electricity starting last October. So, now the rooms have air conditioning. Before, each area only had electricity 8 hours per day. So, windows were left open and most windows in the valley do not have screens. So, then you needed the netting.


It's nice to shower with a bit of room. The bathroom in my last hotel was 3 feet by 3 feet for sink, commode, and a spot in the middle to spray yourself.


After only one evening and morning of being at the computer, my legs began to hurt again. My left foot puffed up and my left ankle hurt and was turning red. I switched the desk chair with the chair behind it (notice that the seat is lower) and my legs feel fine. I guess my vein valves are so leaky that any pressure on the bottom of my legs will cause my legs and feet to swell. They immediately felt better.

This is a picture facing south. Notice the trucks and buses. That is the Ring Road. Most big Asian cities have a Ring Road that encircles the city. This is the wide open area of the valley (grin). They said it was only a 5 minute walk to the Ring Road (10 for me.) What they neglected to say was that this place is on a hill, a big, big, big hill - a Burlwood size hill (walking down Nohl Ranch Road.)


This picture is from my room door. The doors on the left lead to the dining room. We can eat outside if we like. However, the June-July monsoon season is still here and it rains almost every day - a lot.


This is another outside place we can eat or hang out. Notice the 2 dachshunds. These are the first non feral dogs I have seen. There are 11 rooms here, I think (I am in room 11.) I think I am the only customer, right now. There are 4 young men and a chef that do everything for the owners. So, I guess I have my own personal staff.


The road to get here. Not all roads on Google maps are equal. We were blocked by a water truck for about 20 minutes until my taxi driver convinced them to let us passed (they were stopped.) He pulled the tiny taxi (about 3/4 the size of a volkswagon beetle) into a tiny spot on the side of the road and the truck backed up with about 1/2 inches to spare.


The road down to the Ring Road. I wouldn't want to be in that tanker truck when it goes down this road.

So, that's it. I have 9 nights here resting up. I am trusting their food and eating the first fruit and veggies since I got here. We get free breakfast, which was huge. I ate at 8 am and it is 5 pm and I am just getting hungry. They served me a bowl of fruit, corn flakes, some health cereal with oats and raisins, and nuts in it, a pot of coffee, bread, 2 fried eggs, orange juice, milk, and yogurt. I didn't eat the milk or yogurt, just to be safe.

We can order supper with at least 2 hours notice, so I won't starve until I figure out how to get off this hill. I'll be able to get some good Bible study in and some other paperwork done.

Namaste from The Roof of the World







2 comments:

  1. Wow, that's beautiful there ! The rain is a pain, but it sure makes everything look clean and fresh. I really like it.

    The roads and drivers (from a previous post) reminds me of when Liz and I went to Jamaica for our honeymoon. We took a taxi from the airport to our hotel. (the size of a VW bus with 8 people in it) and he drove about 50 miles an hour through the mountain VERY small curvy roads passing other vehicles. WE all knew we were going to fall off the mountain and die as we he taking corners hanging over the cliffs... lol... somehow we made it and talking to other guests, I guess this is common practice...

    ReplyDelete