Wednesday, May 24, 2017

Malaysia Ho!

Well, I made it Kuala Lumpur to wait out 2 weeks until I can return to Bangkok. This will allow me 2 months in Bangkok and 5 months in Kathmandu until the end of the year, the max I am allowed.

One of the few programs I get on my one English channel is the Amazing Race. They fly to a new destination for most episodes and then complete some challenges. They gloss over the airport. However, I bet some episodes, those are the hardest parts.

Whew! What a workout. I flew out of the minor International Airport in Bangkok called Don Mueang International Airport. I arrived 3 hours early and that may have been very late. I was in a line that looked about 1.5 hours long and it looked like it would be tight. However, as I was standing there an official came over, called me out of line, and took me over to an empty counter and I was processed in 10 minutes. Sometimes God takes care of me way to well that it is embarrassing. Well, they say God takes care of drunks and fools. And, since I don't drink . . .

Anyway, I ended up waiting in the lounge for an hour until they called us. We lined up and got on our . . . bus? Like I said, this was an old airport and they bused us out to our plane. I flew Air Asia. It is owned by the Donald Trump of Asia (He even has a programmed called The Apprentice, Asia.) He made his billions in shipping and his freighters ship a large portion of the cargo from Asia.

He built Air Asia as the "people's airline." It is very cheap so that even a taxi driver in Bangkok can afford a trip once in a while. It was about $100.00 round trip. However, you get only a seat, a carryon up to 15 pounds, a camera bag, and can use the toilet. Everything else is extra. If you want to check luggage, it is extra. Meals are extra. Drinks and water are extra. I just brought the minimum - clothes, my medicines, my Bible, and my computer.



The planes are older and smaller. However, the aisle was wider and the seat was wider. I guess they are making seats skinnier nowadays.



However, they do cram in more rows so our knees touch the seat in front of us. But, overall, I was comfortable for the 2 hour trip.

I made it fine to my hotel. It is an hour taxi ride. I made a map and we found the hotel right away. I ended up on the "1st floor." In European parlance, that is the second floor, which was actually 2 flights up. However, this morning they switched me to a ground floor room. Again, God is giving me a little boost.



On the one hand, my small room is ultra modern. However, it has no frig or microwave or even drawers or a closet. So, I will be eating out most of the time and my clothes will have to stay in my suitcase. However, that looks doable. There are a zillion stores nearby. The hotel is actually like in a giant strip mall, one of 4 side by side.



The bathroom has one of those instant water heater things. I really like them. You can set the water at any temp. I can't seem to get a good picture of the bathroom. But, it is also ultra modern.



They have different plugs here. My Thailand hotel and apartment had universal plug outlets so I have not had any problems plugging stuff in. The hotel here had no adapters. I walked one way and found a telephone store. I was able to get a plug in that would allow me to charge 3 USB items at once. So, at least, I could use my phones and tablet. Then, I walked the other way and found a computer store. They had a universal adapter. Whoo-hoo! You can see it in the room picture where my computer cable goes between my bed and desk.

So, now I am fully electrified.

I will go exploring and post more pictures. Lee pointed out Imgur to host pictures so I can post a lot of pictures without worrying about using up space. So, I want to get familiar with that while I am here.

Namaste From (halfway to) Nepal

No comments:

Post a Comment