Saturday, July 1, 2017

Check Off A Bucket List Item

I've made my plane and hotel reservations for Nepal and I will arrive on August 3, 2017.

I am splurging a little and got a nicer hotel that costs $8.00 per night. It is right across the street from Durbar Square. As I have been reading up on Nepal I found some good news and bad news. The bad news is that the smog in Kathmandu is atrocious and will require wearing a mask when outside. I will probably end up living in Patan, about 10 km away - not too bad a commute to the college which is downtown.

The good news is that Kathmandu has had 24 hour electricity since October of last year instead of 8 hours per day. Unfortunately, everyone went out and bought electrical appliances and they may have to resort to load sharing again.

I was looking for a flight and I only found one airline that will allow me to take more than 2 bags without paying $15.00 per pound (they really don't want the extra bags because people will start using the airlines for shipping.) China Eastern Airlines allows a third bag for a one price fee that is reasonable and each bag can be 32 kg (70 lbs), much heavier than I need.

Anyway, I checked the flights and economy is $300 and business is $550. So, I got a business ticket. I always wanted to fly first class. I checked the seats on seatguru.com and it seems that business class today is the same that first class was 15 years ago, while first class today gets you your own apartment on the plane and is super expensive $2000.00. Meanwhile, economy is getting worse. Business class is 6 seats across and economy is 11 seats across. So, I figure I can cross "fly first class" off my bucket list.

Namaste From The Land Of Smiles

2 comments: