Sunday, December 31, 2017

Rereward

I didn't bring my Bible with me to Thailand (to save weight). However, I do have a pocket New Testament. I brought My Utmost For His Highest and Amy Carmichael's If to study while I am here.

Dec. 31 study in My Utmost For His Highest uses the word rereward. I thought it meant re-reward, which kind of makes sense in context. However, I looked it up on the internet and it is actually an archaic spelling of rearward and it means rearguard. This makes a whole lot of more sense in context of the devotional passage for Dec. 31.

"Our yesterdays present irreparable things to us; it is true that we have lost opportunities which will never return, but God can transform this destructive anxiety into a constructive thoughtfulness for the future."

"He will watch lest things trip us up again into like failure, as they assuredly would do if He were not our rereward (rearguard.)"

Namaste from The Land Of Smiles

No comments:

Post a Comment